If you have been involved in a road traffic accident which was not your fault you will need to claim for your vehicle repairs or a replacement if the car or motorcycle is written off. Following the accident you should contact your insurers to formally report it, even if you do not wish to claim. You will need to provide full details of the accident circumstances, details of the other driver and vehicle together with details of any independent witnesses. It is always helpful to take photographs at the scene of the accident as this may be helpful evidence if liability for the accident is denied by the other driver.

Once your insurers are aware of the accident they may automatically appoint a solicitor to act on your behalf in connection with the entire claim, especially if you have legal expenses insurance cover under your motor policy.  Your details may even be ‘sold on’ which could result in you receiving cold calls from people trying to obtain information from you.  You do not have to instruct a solicitor who has been instructed by your insurers, despite what they may tell you.

You are free to instruct a solicitor of your choice to represent you whether you have legal expenses cover on your policy or not.  Failing to instruct an experienced firm of your own choosing is a mistake.  We are an independent firm and have never paid referral fees.  The majority of our clients come to us through personal recommendation, something which we are extremely proud of. We will always only work in your best interests without influence from your own insurers or the other driver’s insurers. We pride ourselves on the quality of our client care.

For specialist advice on making a road traffic accident claim please contact our team on 01642 252 828 or use our contact form and we will be in touch.

Fully Comprehensive Insurance

If you are covered by a fully comprehensive policy making a claim from you own insurers should be straightforward. Once the accident has been reported your insurers will ask an assessor to examine your vehicle and provide an estimate for the repairs. You may be asked to take your vehicle to a local garage for assessment or an assessor may visit you at home to conduct the inspection. If it is economical to repair the insurers will then provide authority for the garage to proceed.

If the assessor decides that the cost of repairs are too high in relation to its value then it will be declared a write off and you will be offered a cash sum. We can assist you in deciding whether the sum offered is fair and reasonable.

You may be offered a courtesy car or motorbike whilst your vehicle is being repaired/assessed. If this is not available through your own insurers we may be able to arrange hire at no cost to yourself. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.

Will I have to pay my insurance policy excess?

If liability has been admitted by the other driver’s insurers then the excess will usually be met by them directly.  The garage where the repairs have taken place will usually ask you to pay the excess once the repairs have been completed and this can then be recovered from the other driver’s insurers by way of an interim payment.  If your vehicle is written off then the excess is likely to be deducted from the cash sum you are awarded and again can then be recovered from the other driver’s insurers.   We will ensure that a claim is made for any uninsured losses.

What if I am insured third party only?

If you are insured third party only and liability has been admitted by the other driver’s insurers then they will arrange for your vehicle to be inspected and repaired. If the vehicle is written off then they will make you an offer for the pre accident value of your car or motorcycle.

If liability is in dispute we can arrange for your vehicle to be inspected by a specialist independent engineer so that the extent of the damage can be assessed and an estimate provided for the repairs or the pre accident value, if the car/motorcycle is a total loss. We will ensure that the cost of the independent inspection is met by the other driver’s insurers. All of our claims are dealt with on a no win, no fee basis.

Please contact us for more information on making a road traffic accident claim. You can call us on 01642 252 828 or fill out our online claim form.

View All