Are you facing discrimination at your workplace due to your pregnancy or maternity? Have you been mistreated at work because of a pregnancy-related issue?
If so, you may be entitled to claim for pregnancy and maternity discrimination. At Macks Solicitors, we can protect your rights and ensure you receive fair treatment throughout your pregnancy and maternity. Our team of experienced solicitors specialises in handling pregnancy and maternity discrimination cases, and we are dedicated to fighting for justice on your behalf.
Free Initial Discussion
What Is Pregnancy and Maternity Discrimination?
Pregnancy and maternity discrimination occurs when an employer treats an employee unfavourably because of their pregnancy, pregnancy-related illness, or maternity leave. The Equality Act 2010 makes it unlawful for employers to discriminate against an employee because they may become pregnant or wish to return to work as a mother.
Examples of Pregnancy and Maternity Discrimination
Examples of pregnancy and maternity discrimination can include, but are not limited to:
- Refusing to hire someone as they are pregnant
- Dismissing or demoting an employee after announcing their pregnancy
- Refusing to train or promote an employee during or after pregnancy
- Making an employee redundant because of their pregnancy or issues surrounding their maternity leave
What Are My Rights At Work When I Become Pregnant?
When you become pregnant, you have certain rights and protections at work to ensure a safe and fair working environment. These rights are in place to safeguard you during your pregnancy, maternity leave, and the period after your return to work. Here are some of your key rights at work when you become pregnant:
- Protection against pregnancy discrimination: It is unlawful for your employer to discriminate against you.
- Paid time off for antenatal appointments: You have the right to take paid time off for antenatal appointments, such as doctor visits and midwife appointments.
- Reasonable adjustments: Your employer is required to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate your needs.
- Maternity leave: All pregnant employees are entitled to 52 weeks of maternity leave.
- Protection during maternity leave
- Health and safety protection: Your employer must conduct a risk assessment to ensure your health and safety at work during your pregnancy.
Who Can We Help?
At Macks Solicitors, we understand that pregnancy and maternity discrimination can impact people in various stages of their journey. Our team of employment solicitors are well-versed in assisting people facing these challenges, including:
- Pregnant employees or those with pregnancy-related illnesses: If you are pregnant or dealing with a pregnancy-related illness, you deserve fair treatment and accommodations at your workplace.
- Those on compulsory maternity leave: Being on compulsory maternity leave should not make you vulnerable to discrimination.
- Individuals requesting additional maternity leave: Requesting additional maternity leave should not result in discrimination.
What Outcome Can You Seek From An Employer Who Has Discriminated Against You?
If your claim is settled through negotiation, the potential outcomes care:
- A reference and an apology
- Confidential Agreement
- Reputation Protection
Reaching a settlement through negotiation can be less stressful than going to court or the Employment Tribunal. However, in the event that your claim progresses to the Employment Tribunal or court, the potential outcomes are:
- Declaration of your rights
- Recommendation to your employer to stop the discrimination from occurring again
Contact Us Today
For more information about making a pregnancy or maternity discrimination claim, call us on 01642 843 667; alternatively, complete our online contact form and one of our employment solicitors will be in touch.
Latest Trustpilot Reviews
So helpful and kind.Thank you for all your help
So helpful and kind.Thank you for every thing you did.
Professional, efficient and helpful
I was given clear advice and guided through the divorce process very professionally. Sarah and Sarah we helpful, informative and dealt with everything quickly and efficiently.
Outstanding service, very helpful and polite staff, always in the know about our case .. all round great professional solicitors.