Compensation Claims Against The Council

Home / Compensation Claims Against The Council

Councils, as local governing bodies, play an important role in maintaining and overseeing public services and infrastructure. However, with this role comes a legal obligation to ensure that their activities and decisions do not cause harm to individuals or their property. 

Council liability claims can hold local authorities accountable for any breach of their duty of care. If someone suffers harm or damage to property due to the council’s negligence or improper actions, they may have grounds to make a compensation claim against the council.

Free Initial Discussion

For no-obligation advice and information, call our specialist personal injury solicitors today on 01642 843 670 or use our contact form and we will call you back.

Understanding Council Liability

The duty of care that councils owe to the public is based on the idea that they are in a position to identify and address potential hazards and risks within their communities. This duty extends to all aspects of council activities, including the maintenance of roads, pavements, public spaces, council-owned properties, and other facilities.

Councils are expected to take reasonable and appropriate steps to prevent foreseeable harm and implement timely and appropriate safety measures. 

They should conduct regular inspections, promptly address reported issues, and maintain their properties and services to a reasonable standard. This includes ensuring that roads are well-maintained, public areas are kept free from hazards, and council houses meet necessary safety standards.

In cases where the council has failed to fulfil its duty of care, causing accidents, injuries, or even property damage, individuals may have the right to seek compensation. For these claims to be successful, it is crucial to establish that the council’s negligence or failure to act was directly linked to the injury or loss suffered.

Common Types of Council Compensation Claims

Certain types of accidents are more common than others when it comes to claims against the council. 

Roads And Pavement Injuries

One of the most frequent causes of council compensation claims involves injuries sustained on roads and pavements. Potholes, uneven surfaces, and poorly maintained roads or walkways can pose significant hazards to pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists. 

Trips and slips on damaged pavements can lead to serious injuries, including fractures, sprains, and cuts. In such cases, it is possible to seek compensation from the council for these injuries and any associated losses, provided it can be established that the council was negligent or in breach of statutory duty in maintaining roads and walkways.

Injuries In Council Houses

Council house occupants may also make compensation claims against the council if they suffer injuries or damages due to poor property maintenance or other issues that pose a direct threat to wellbeing. 

Examples include injuries resulting from defective electrical systems, faulty plumbing, inadequate security measures, or structural problems in council-owned properties. 

To pursue a successful claim, claimants must demonstrate that the council were on notice of problems with premises and failed to address these issues in a timely manner which led to the injuries or damage suffered.

Injuries In Public Spaces

Public spaces under the council’s responsibility, such as parks, playgrounds, and recreational areas, should be safe for the public to use. 

If accidents occur due to hazards or lack of proper maintenance, individuals may be eligible to make compensation claims against the council. 

Incidents like slips, trips and falls on wet or poorly maintained surfaces, playground equipment malfunctions, or accidents caused by broken infrastructure can be grounds for seeking compensation.

In these cases, it’s important to establish that the injury is directly related to negligence or improper maintenance and that the injury was not simply an accident.

How To Sue The Council For Negligence

Seeking compensation from the council for injuries caused by negligence might seem daunting, but our experienced team of personal injury specialists are here to guide you through the process.

If you’ve suffered an injury due to council negligence, our team of specialist solicitors can assist you in making a compensation claim. To get started, you can schedule a free call with us to discuss your case and determine the best way to proceed.

Suing a council for damages can be challenging, especially if the road or pavement defect responsible for your injury has already been fixed. However, we can build a strong case with your help. By providing us with key details, such as photographs of the location where the injury occurred, measurements of the pothole or defect, names and addresses of witnesses, and the police incident number, you can greatly contribute to the success of your claim.

Time Limits For Compensation Claims Against The Council

When it comes to council compensation claims in the UK, time is of the essence. Time limits are crucial as they dictate how long you have to take legal action and preserve your rights to seek compensation for injuries or damages caused by council negligence.

For personal injury claims, including those against the council, the general limitation period is three years from the date the injury occurred or from the date you became aware that the injury was connected to council negligence. This is known as the “date of knowledge.”

It is important to note that there are a few exceptions and variations to these time limits, depending on the circumstances of the case. For example, if the claimant is under the age of 18 at the time of the incident, the three-year limitation period begins when they turn 18.

By initiating your claim as soon as possible, you not only preserve your legal rights but also increase the chances of gathering and preserving vital evidence needed to support your case. 

Compensation Available in Council Claims

When successfully making a compensation claim against the council for injuries or damages, claimants may be entitled to different heads of compensation. 

The purpose of the claim is to compensate individuals for the physical, emotional, and financial hardships caused by the incident. 

This can include: 

  • Medical Expenses: Reimbursement for reasonable and necessary medical treatments, including hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and ongoing care related to the injuries.
  • Rehabilitation Costs: Coverage for therapies and treatments to restore physical function and improve the quality of life after the injury.
  • Property Damage: Compensation for repair or replacement costs if council negligence causes damage to your property.
  • Loss of Earnings: Coverage for lost wages during the recovery period if the injury prevents you from working.
  • Emotional Distress and Pain & Suffering: Acknowledgment of the psychological impact and stress caused by the incident.

Contact Us Today

For more information about making a compensation claim against the council, you can call us on 01642 843 670; alternatively, complete our online contact form and one of our personal injury solicitors will be in touch.

What Our Clients Say

Latest Trustpilot Reviews

Rebecca Genner

I could not thank Rebecca Genner more she’s been so helpful and kind throughout my whole new experience transferring deeds over. She’s informed me every step of the way and has quick replies if I had questions. I would 100% use this company again, thank you so much! Natalie Henderson

Read More

natalie henderson

Amy Sadler was really helpful

Amy Sadler was really helpful and friendly and a pleasure to deal with when providing advice on my settlement agreement. She was professional but very approachable and explained everything clearly. Would not hesitate to use Macks again. Sheena

Read More


Amy Saddler was very knowledgeable and…

Amy Saddler was very knowledgeable and helpful in every way. I would very happily deal with Amy again.

Lol Hepworth

Let's Get Started

Call us on 0808 175 1901 or request a callback for further information, or start a claim and one of our specialist Compensation Claims Against The Council lawyers will be in touch.

Free Call Back

© Copyright 2024 Macks Solicitors | SRA no. 379740