Family Exposed To Deadly AsbestosOctober 29, 2015
Fines totalling £85,000 plus substantial court costs must be paid after a family were exposed to deadly asbestos dust.
Lincoln Crown Court heard that Blankney Estates Ltd, owners of the Lincolnshire house where the incident occurred, failed to ensure work to remove a tank lagged with asbestos was safely removed by competent contractors. The judge was told the firm also failed to adequately manage deteriorating asbestos.
The farming firm admitted offences under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 at the property in Scopwick, where the tenants included a three-year-old girl.
Health and Safety Executive inspectors said the company failed in its duty to take reasonable steps to ensure the premises were safe and that the removal was carried out safely.
Blankney Estates Ltd, of Pannell House, Charles Street, Leicester, was fined £50,000 and ordered to pay £20,000 in costs.
Also prosecuted were plumbing contractors Michael Grace Ltd and two directors of demolition company ART Dismantling Co Ltd, Adam and John Thurlby.
They were charged with offences under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 during the removal of the asbestos-lagged tank.
Adam Thurlby, of Sandhill Road, Farndon, Newark, Nottinghamshire, and John Thurlby, of Malt Kiln Lane, Eagle Moor, Lincoln, were fined £12,500 each, with £7,500 costs.
Michael Grace Ltd, of St John Street, London, was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £5,000 costs.
For information and advice on how to manage asbestos safely, visit www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos
Macks Solicitors’ personal injury lawyers have unrivalled experience and expertise when it comes to fighting for compensation in cases of exposure to asbestos in the workplace. Call our Freephone number 0800 882 4894 to arrange to speak to one of our solicitors about your case.