Uninsured and Untraced drivers

Can I make a claim if I was hit by an uninsured driver?

Can I make a claim if I was involved in a hit and run accident?

Can I make a claim if I was hit by a foreign registered vehicle?

The answer to all of these questions is yes. We can act on your behalf in connection with such claims which are usually made via the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

What is the Motor Insurers’ Bureau?

The MIB are a non-profit making organisation set up by motor insurers to compensate victims of uninsured and untraced drivers. The MIB also operate the Green Card System which ensures that victims of road traffic accidents involving foreign vehicles are not disadvantaged. This includes accidents which occur both in the UK and within the European economic Area. A Green Card is an international proof of insurance.

How do I make a claim?

If you contact one of our specialist personal injury lawyers they will guide you through the entire process. We will obtain your full instructions and complete the MIB application form on your behalf – the claim will then be sent directly to the MIB either by the online portal for claims made under the Uninsured Drivers’ Agreement and by post for claims made under the Untraced Drivers’ Agreement.

What happens next?

Once your claim form has been submitted we receive our unique reference number. The MIB will then start their investigation. The MIB investigation may include:-

  • Obtaining witness statements from you and any other party involved including independent witnesses to establish the facts.
  • Instructing agents to confirm the identify of the other party involved.
  • Obtaining independent reports from motor engineers
  • Obtaining police reports and witness statements.
  • Contacting the DVLA, your insurers or a foreign bureau.

The MIB will only make a payment under the scheme if fault can be established against the driver that you consider responsible for the accident. If the evidence which they obtain indicates that you were partly to blame for the accident then your compensation payment will be reduced. If you are found to the wholly responsible for the accident then no payment will be made.

If your claim is successful, the MIB will arrange private medical treatment to aid your recovery. They will also require sight of your medical records and will instruct an independent doctor to report on the injuries you have sustained as a result of the accident.

Once the medical evidence has been obtained the MIB will put forward their valuation. Our experienced lawyers will prepare a report on the value of your claim based on the medical evidence and will also put together your claim for out of pocket expenses. We will then work with you to agree settlement proposals before negotiating with the MIB to recover the maximum value of your claim. We will ensure that you recover the maximum amount of compensation due to another driver’s carelessness.

Please contact us on 0800 980 9390 or fill in our online claim form below. We act on all MIB cases on a no win, no fee basis.

We are here to help

To discuss how Macks specialists can help provide a customised solution to suit your legal requirements, please call us without obligation.

Middlesbrough Office: 01642 252828
Darlington Office: 01325 389800
Redcar Office: 01642 293334

Would you like a FREE, no obligation consultation with an expert solicitor?

Other Sections

Contacting Us

0800 652 4321 office@macks.co.uk

Head Office

4 Woodlands Road
United Kingdom

Company Registration Number: 04609487 VAT Number: 660 001 395

Why should you make a personal injury claim?

Need our help? Don't worry fill in
the form and we will be in touch

Our Head Quarters will be able to correctly direct you to the relevant solicitor


4 Woodlands Road
United Kingdom