New Vacancy – Civil LitigatorAugust 4, 2020
Civil Litigator/Personal Injury
Watson Woodhouse Ltd is expanding their Civil Litigation team and seek an innovative and forward thinking Fee Earner / Senior Clerk to work from their Middlesbrough office,.
Our team works across multi-discipline areas including Civil Actions Against Public Authority; Inquests; CICA; Abuse Claims; Human Rights; Judicial Review; Defamation / Misuse Private Information and Personal Injury work. We offer Legal Aid in the areas of CAPA; Inquest and Housing Litigation.
Our team have been involved in high profile and ground-breaking cases and continue to fight for the rights of some of the most vulnerable members of society.
- The candidate will initially offer case progression support to two of the senior fee earners – with view to developing the knowledge and skills to manage an independent caseload predominately in the areas of CAPA; inquests/inquiries; Human Rights; Abuse and Psychological injury claims.
- To assist with the marketing and expansion of the department as a whole.
- To develop and use external links to promote the team and build work streams
Main duties and responsibilities
- Assisting Senior Fee Earners with complex cases;
- The work is varied and will involve undertaking a range of activity including legal research and assisting with case preparation;
- Attendance at Client meetings; hearings and Court to liaise with Clients, Counsel, Defendants, Coroner; IOPC and other third parties
- Taking witness evidence, drafting instructions and correspondence to clients, court and defendants;
- The role will also include administrative work such as document; file management and billing assistance;
- Dealing with all forms of funding, including Legal Aid and CFA’s and submitting applications to the LAA online via CCMS.
Person Specification and preferential skills
- Legal qualification preferable but not essential;
- Equivalent to 3 years PQE desired, but all candidates with relevant experience considered, including those who are unqualified but have a passion and commitment to fight for justice;
- Experience in dealing sensitively with clients and experts, providing solutions and managing difficult situations and conversations;
- Experience of working with vulnerable clients;
- Excellent communication skills, demonstrated by an ability to communicate accurately, clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing;
- Excellent time management skills, demonstrated by ability to organise and prioritise a complex workload and work to tight deadlines;
- Ability to work in and contribute to a team environment;
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and use own initiative.
Competitive salary, excellent prospects and training provided.
Email covering letter, CV and salary expectations to Vicky Thomas HR Manager email email@example.com
Should you have any questions about the role/department please feel free to contact our recruitment team at the email above and they will respond directly.
Preference to have experience in issues including:
- Civil Actions Against Public Authority
- Abuse Claims
- Human Rights
- Judicial Review
- General Civil Disputes
- Defamation / Misuse Private Information
- Preferable to have experience in Legal Aid Finding