Applications are now made on an online customer portal. Macks Solicitors can complete the application on your behalf and represent you in your claim.

We represent clients on a “no win, no fee” basis. This means that if for any reason your application is unsuccessful, you won’t have to pay any costs. If you are successful, we deduct any costs directly from your compensation. We guarantee you keep at least 75% of your compensation and reserve the right to deduct 25% to cover the costs of representation.

If you appoint us to represent you in your claim, we will ensure that you know exactly what information you will need to process your application with ease. We will guide you and ensure you have the correct evidence to support your claim.

You may be entitled to compensation for any psychological injuries as well as for your physical injuries. The scheme can also make payments to cover your loss of earnings, ability to earn and expenses such as care and medical expenses.

We will ensure you obtain the correct tariff payment for your injuries, together with any additional expenses, ensuring you obtain the maximum compensation available.

Macks can try to speed matters up and have expert lawyers to deal with your application. We will explain everything in plain English, taking the stress of dealing with the application out of your hands.

We aim to provide help and assistance in a caring, professional manner to victims of violent crime.  Honest, law-abiding citizens deserve to go about their daily business without the fear of being a blameless victim of a violent crime. If you are unfortunate enough to be a victim, you deserve to be compensated.

Payments are provided by the government and try to compensate you and show sympathy for what you have been through. This is why CICA can take into account the conduct of a victim and their past criminal record.

Applying On Behalf Of Children Or Adults Who Cannot Apply Themselves

A parent or person with parental responsibility can apply on behalf of a child. If you have authority to act on behalf of a person who lacks capacity and can provide evidence of this, you are entitled to make an application on their behalf.

If no-one has already been appointed legally to act on their behalf, an application may be made to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a Deputy. Once appointed, the Deputy will be able to deal with the CICA application and decide whether to accept a payment on behalf of the injured person or ask for a review or an appeal.

Criminal Injury Compensation Appeals

If your application is turned down or you’re unhappy with the amount awarded, you can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Criminal Injuries Compensation). The tribunal is independent of the government. While the tribunal is considering an appeal, it may order an interim payment to be made.

Applicants must carefully adhere to time limits for appeals. You should also be aware that the tribunal may award you less than the original amount and that the decision is final (unless a Judicial Review finds that they made a mistake in law).

The tribunal may decide that you should not get anything or can ask CICA to reconsider the decision.

Hardship Fund

You can apply for financial help if you have to take time off low-paid work because you have been the victim of a violent crime. If you are eligible, you can get help for up to 25 days from the CICA Hardship Fund. You might still get help if your injuries are not severe enough to qualify for the CICA scheme. You normally need to report your injuries to the police within 48 hours and CICA usually needs to receive your application within eight weeks of the incident.

View All